Northwest added a great addition to their award lineup by allowing you to use miles for one way of a round trip and pay cash for the return or vice versa. Suppose the outbound portion of your trip can be found a PerkSaver awards levels or 12,500 miles for domestic US, but the return portion is only available at PerkPass level or 25K for the return. You now have the option of using 12.5K miles and cash for the return portion.
There are a few bugs to be worked out still. You won’t earn miles on the portion you pay cash for and you can not use your vouchers or credits to pay for the cash portion. It is temporary, and NW promises to fix these restrictions later this year.
Here is the latest scoop from Northwest on the PerkChoice Program
Any enhancement that allows us to use our miles more effectively is greatly appreciated.
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)