Northwest added a great addition to their award lineup by allowing you to use miles for one way of a round trip and pay cash for the return or vice versa. Suppose the outbound portion of your trip can be found a PerkSaver awards levels or 12,500 miles for domestic US, but the return portion is only available at PerkPass level or 25K for the return. You now have the option of using 12.5K miles and cash for the return portion.
There are a few bugs to be worked out still. You won’t earn miles on the portion you pay cash for and you can not use your vouchers or credits to pay for the cash portion. It is temporary, and NW promises to fix these restrictions later this year.
Here is the latest scoop from Northwest on the PerkChoice Program
Any enhancement that allows us to use our miles more effectively is greatly appreciated.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95