Northwest added a great addition to their award lineup by allowing you to use miles for one way of a round trip and pay cash for the return or vice versa. Suppose the outbound portion of your trip can be found a PerkSaver awards levels or 12,500 miles for domestic US, but the return portion is only available at PerkPass level or 25K for the return. You now have the option of using 12.5K miles and cash for the return portion.
There are a few bugs to be worked out still. You won’t earn miles on the portion you pay cash for and you can not use your vouchers or credits to pay for the cash portion. It is temporary, and NW promises to fix these restrictions later this year.
Here is the latest scoop from Northwest on the PerkChoice Program
Any enhancement that allows us to use our miles more effectively is greatly appreciated.
IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card
- Annual Fee: $49 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Hotel
The IHG Rewards Club Visa is often cited as one of the most underrated hotel credit cards, with good reason. The official offer is for 70,000 points after $1,000 spent within three months, with the first year’s fee waived. The card comes with an annual free night certificate that can be used at any IHG property, including Intercontinental hotels - making this certificate worth upwards of 50,000 points. This is far more generous than some other hotel cards, which limit the categories in which free night certificates can be redeemed.
Cardholders earn 5 points per dollar at IHG hotels; 2 points per dollar at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants; 1 point per dollar everywhere else. Moreover, you’ll get a 10% rebate on award redemptions, up to 100,000 points per year. The card also comes with Platinum status, though that doesn’t get you much with IHG. Still, this is a fantastic card to have in your wallet, with benefits that far outweigh the already low $49 annual fee.
- Earn 70,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months of account opening
- Enjoy a free night of card membership at over 4,700 hotels worldwide
- Earn 5 points for each $1 spent at our hotels
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants
- Bonus points redeemable at hotels such as Intercontinental® Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts and Holiday Inn®
- Automatic platinum elite status, as long as you remain a cardmember
- $0 introductory annual fee the first year, then $49