I’ve wanted this tracking tool for years, but just found it today. It allows you to track not only the price of tickets you want to buy, but the tickets you have already purchased. Here is why it is important: Because we leave money on the table. If the price of your already purchased ticket falls, you can ask the airline for a credit to your airline account for future travel. It won’t help you much if you buy through a third party site, but I almost always buy directly from the airline website. The yapta web tool is nothing special for buying tickets, but a great find for the already purchased ones. For checking flights and prices for possible future travel, I still like itasoftware.com. Yapta.com has been in business since 2006 and I just found it. It shows you how much I have to learn. I have never even seen it mentioned before.
In all fairness it is a little cumbersome to add all the required info for each segment including flight number departure and arrival city and date of travel. And when you are done with that you must add what you paid for the ticket, where you bought it and the confirmation number. It took several minutes to load that info, but will be well worth it if a refund or voucher comes out of it. They will email you if the price falls and you can call the airline for a credit. If the ticket drops $20 it is not worth the effort as you typically have to refare the ticket, but airfares can change dramatically over time. My tickets to Greece this month probably won’t change, but the tickets I just got for Hawaii in December may well vary enough to make it worthwhile to have loaded the information.
I can assure you of this. If it were not for yapta.com, the odds of my seeing a lower price were at best one in one hundred as I may check once every 3 months on my own. Now it appears I’m covered everyday.
Now if I can just remember to add all my upcoming flights as I book them.
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)