This is a combination trip for me. I’m adding to my United Elite Qualifying Miles total, visiting the Alamo and Riverwalk in San Antonio and going to St Louis and Washington to see the two newest major league ballparks. The fares were all one ways on United with coupons so no major cash outlay.
I routed San Antonio SAV-ORD-LAX-SAT for a nice chunk. Overnight provided by the Best Rate Guarantee program.
The next day is SAT-ORD-STL in time for the 1:10 PM ballgame. Staying at the Airport Marriott for 10K points compliments of the mix up with my hotel reservation last year in St. Thomas.
Monday is a Southwest flight from STL-MDW-IAD compliments of the CO-Amtrak-Choice-SW bonanza last winter. The game in Washington is in the brand new stadium just opened this year. The room is another Marriott freebie.
Ground transportation is provided by Airport shuttle to San Antonio and the metro in both St Louis and Washington. In Washington I take the Washington Flyer from Dulles to the nearest metro stop.
The trip home is from DCA-JAX again on United Airlines via Chicago of course for miles maximization. From JAX I have a one way Alamo rental back to Hilton Head for $18 plus tax. It will be a good way to wind down form a hectic yet profitable trip.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95