Elite members can now cash in their miles for certificates that are the same as cash when purchasing a vacation package from Northwest Vacations. You can redeem 7500 miles for a $75 ecert, 15,000 miles for a $150 ecert and 25,000 miles for a $250 ecert. They can be used with any combination of air, hotel and car rental and also include the option of hotel only.
It is only one penny per mile, but could be helpful for those bloated unused balances or the kids accounts that just can’t get to the award level. Here is the link with terms and conditions.
The Value of a Mile on the Rise
The new game plan in the airlines industry is becoming quite obvious. By reducing capacity, the price of an airline ticket will go up with the continued demand. At some point in the future, the leisure traveller will be priced out of the market and travel will become a luxury again of the wealthy, the corporate flyer (flying on our dime really) and those of us with hordes of miles. A frequent flyer mile will again be worth 2 cents, maybe more depending on how high fares get.
Sure the airlines can adjust the awards charts, but will they? I don’t think so as the frequent flyer programs are one of the real and constant money makers for the surviving airlines whoever they may be. Seven percent to 9% of available seats will still have to be available for awards or the programs themselves will lose their value and appeal.
So today, the mileage hoarders win, and those that have been burning their miles are coming up short, as their stockpiles of future travel are diminished.
Our assets value is on the rise.
$100 from PNC Bank
I do these offers to supplement my travel account. Here is a free $100 from PNC bank for opening a checking account online with a direct deposit. Promotion ends June 14th. You must be at a printer to print out some of the required forms.
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)