This may seem somewhat complicated at first but stick with me. Your earnings will make it well worth your while.
Last week I posted the Gold Business Card by American Express Open Network card which offers 25,000 membership rewards points if you spend $1,000 by October first and no annual fee. Let us assume we take them up on that offer and now have 25K Membership rewards points.
Shortly after your approval and account set up, Amex will offer you 5,000 Membership Rewards points for the extended payment option. It is free and we accept the offer. We now have 30K in membership Rewards points. They also sometimes offer points for adding card holders but it seems infrequent and I don’t count on it.
The next offer that Amex will make is to upgrade you Gold card to a Platinum Business Card from Open. Some of their promotions for this card offer nothing, some offer a $150 statement credit but I’m waiting for the current offer on Katy’s account which is another 20K of Membership Rewards points. The Platinum card cost money, $450 for the first year to be exact.
But look at what you have for it: The 20,000 additional Membership Rewards points givng you a Grand Total of 50K points easily converts to 50,000 miles on Continental, Delta or Hawaiian Airlines. If memory serves me correctly 40K gets you a round trip ticket to Hawaii (space available of course) and 50K will get you to Europe from the US mainland on Delta or Continental.
And Now the Lounge Access
As a Platinum Business Card holder from Amex and Open you are granted access to the airport lounges of CO, DL, NW and American Airlines free of charge during your membership year. That benefit alone is worth close to the $450 spend, but you are going to throw in a free ticket to Hawaii or Europe. In addition you also get companion passes four times a year for a second ticket purchased after spending $299 on the first ticket. I have the bennie with my card, I just have never used it.
Here are the steps to lounge access and Hawaii or Europe
- 1. Apply for the Gold Business Card from American Express and Open here.
- Copy, print and save this page
- Call the application center the next day and have them enter codes 9238 and 0923.
- Use the card for the $1000 spend by October 31st.
- When they offer the extended payment option at American Express online, take it. It is free.
- Look for the offer on the top of your American Express Account pages that says: ”You are pre-approved for the Platinum Business Card.Earn 20,000 membership rewards points as a welcome bonus.” Upgrade Here.(Make sure the upgrade comes with promo code 1654).
Have a nice trip and we’ll see you in the airport lounge.
Remember your credit is a valuable asset. Only consider these techniques if you do not contemplate a major purchase in the near future.