Everyday from August 10th through the 16th we will be talking about credit cards. Read all 7 days for a starting point for earnings with credit cards.
A true mileage hound is constantly on the lookout for the next great sign up bonus and promotion to pad their account balances.
But how many of you know how to maximize your sign up potential while keeping your credit score high enough to take advantage of the next great promotion?
I’ve been fortunate enough to have been around credit for years as a mortgage banking president and credit counselor. I’ve watched thousand of people make simple mistakes that hurt their future ability to borrow and hence, take advantage of the next great promotion.
I will offer a review of your current credit card portfolio with a couple of conditions:
- You have no major purchases ie; house, car, student loans contemplated in the next year.
- I don’t need your full name, address, social security number of phone number, but will ask you to give me a full disclosure of your current credit conditions. IE current credit cards and loans, balances and credit limits, interest rates and repayment terms.
- Your current airline and hotel program affiliations and any status you may have with each.
- You will obtain your free credit report and current credit score for help determining your future sign up bonus potential and ways to improve your credit score.
- You acknowledge that I am giving only my suggestions of potential moves you can make to increase you sign up bonuses and am not charging a fee for reviewing your current situation and as such assume no responsibility for the outcome of the decisions you ultimately make.
- If it appears that you can take advantage of more sign up bonuses at present you will consider applying through my website as I receive a small referral for accepted applications.
- Correspondence will be through email only unless you decide a phone call is more appropriate and time saving.
I have done this for years as a mortgage banker, credit counselor, and mileage hound. I certainly don’t have all the answers and there are many others that can do a review of your situation as well. But if you are wondering about what changes you can make, I’d be glad to take a look for you. Those of you new to mileage and points cards are probably the best candidates for review.
It is amazing to me the number of people that can make minor changes to their credit card approach, and achieve significant results in improving their credit scores and the resulting increase in sign up bonuses.
IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card
- Annual Fee: $49 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Hotel
The IHG Rewards Club Visa is often cited as one of the most underrated hotel credit cards, with good reason. The official offer is for 70,000 points after $1,000 spent within three months, with the first year’s fee waived. The card comes with an annual free night certificate that can be used at any IHG property, including Intercontinental hotels - making this certificate worth upwards of 50,000 points. This is far more generous than some other hotel cards, which limit the categories in which free night certificates can be redeemed.
Cardholders earn 5 points per dollar at IHG hotels; 2 points per dollar at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants; 1 point per dollar everywhere else. Moreover, you’ll get a 10% rebate on award redemptions, up to 100,000 points per year. The card also comes with Platinum status, though that doesn’t get you much with IHG. Still, this is a fantastic card to have in your wallet, with benefits that far outweigh the already low $49 annual fee.
- Earn 70,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months of account opening
- Enjoy a free night of card membership at over 4,700 hotels worldwide
- Earn 5 points for each $1 spent at our hotels
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants
- Bonus points redeemable at hotels such as Intercontinental® Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts and Holiday Inn®
- Automatic platinum elite status, as long as you remain a cardmember
- $0 introductory annual fee the first year, then $49