I had a chance to sit down with a fellow frugal traveler this weekend from Traverse City, MI. She is just starting out but open to improving her travel skills and we were able to bat around a few ideas that will help in her quest.
I got a email reply yesterday that made my day and confirmed the reason this blog exists. It seems our self described newbie wants to start the college kids on the road to frugal travel and was considering the American Airlines Citi AAdvantage card with 25,000 free AA miles, no first year annual fee, but with a $750 initial spend requirement. I never think about spend requirements, as I can easily meet any spend requirement in the allotted time.
But in this case, the cards were for college age kids, that would not meet the spend requirement on their own.
And my fellow Traverse City frugal traveler came up with buying the $1 coins from the US mint to meet the minimum spend. It seems simple now, but it took thinking “outside the box” to make that happen for those kids and we should all congratulate Mom for the idea of combining to possible deals into one nice benefit.
Remember, you can only buy two boxes of each president for each address. Katy and I tried ordering two for me and two for her by adding apartment #1 to our address and the order was rejected for three of the 5 presidents ordered. Two were approved and are on the way. Go figure??? And when you place your order the shipping cost will disappear.
As of today, only the Andrew Jackson coin is available, but they all come back available from time to time.
The credit card can be found by clicking the ad below and then click through to the Citicards and the Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Mastercard.
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)