Using a Kayak link from Dave’s site I easily found the Days Inn Hotel Circle South at $95 per night and it was $85 at Orbitz, Cheaptickets and $85.50 at Hotels.com.I submitted my claim Sunday night and had my approval Monday by noon for the free night. And as with all Wyndham Rewards properties, I had done a Tripadvisor.com search of other guests experiences and condition reports. I think it is a must for these lower end hotels.
Three nights so far, paid for one with the Best Rate Guarantee and the second night free at the Marriott LaJolla.
I used Katy’s name for the BRG and still have mine available for January as it is one property per chain per month. Time to go exploring
Bestrateguarantee.blogspot.com Cut and paste that one and add it to your favorites.
Day Four San Diego = Comfort Inn at the Harbor
I always like having more than one option for housing and this time it was use Choice Privileges rewards points or the hotelclub.com voucher for $49 off the price.
I narrowed it down to the Comfort Inn at Old Town for 20K points or $94 or Comfort Inn at the Harbor for 16K points or $84? Tripadvisor shows the At the Harbor site to be in renovation and almost complete with all positive reviews. That won over the $10 higher or 4K higher award redemption. Now comes the big decision: 16K in points or $84+10 tax-$49 coucher for $44 total.
$44 or 16K in points? $44 was the answer so I can save the points for a better opportunity.
Out of pocket expenses to date: $33 for the airfare, $118 total for two nights in the Marriott LaJolla, free night for number 3 and $44 for night number four. Total $195 plus rental car that I’m bidding $15 per day for and the SeaWorld tickets.
That to me is Frugal Travel. If one flight gets bumped, we’ll actually make a profit going to San Diego.
Thanks Readers for the Wyndham Help
Jeromie, Dino, Todd and others that offered to help out get rid of this odd number, I appreciate your helping me out. I’m gonna be 3200 miles closer to Lifetime Platinum with American and get rid of those 7977 points that have just been sitting there. I think they were a sign up bonus and a hotel that actually gave points on a Best Rate Guarantee free night.
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)