I got my new Citi World Business card in the mail yesterday which replaced the now defunct Business Premier Pass Elite Card. Without the flight points option and the devaluation of the Thank You Point fixed flight redemption option, it was time to clean out the cards.
I cancelled the card without ever using it and was offered 4K TY Points, which I foolishly declined. Duh.
Next came Professional card which use to give me 3 points per $ at restaurants and I guess still does. But I would rather have an SPG point than 3 Thank You points and I’ve switched to my SPG card.
She tried me again on the retention bonus and this time I was awake and lucid. The offer was 3000 TY points to keep the card. I asked for 5K and we settled with 3K (no moving that woman).
This credit card was not due for renewal. I had not been using it and they want to give me points to stay with it. All right. I’ll cancel it next month after my 3K points post.
My goal was to remove some of my credit with Citi as I want to continue applying for the AA citicards for AA miles and I’ve got about 8 cards with them at present.
But it got me to thinking (and we know how dangerous that can be)? Particularly a Thank You Point Card, because many of you are trying to get to 90K or some other round number
If you have a spare Citicard around in your drawer that you use or don’t use, it didn’t seem to matter, why not call them and tell them you are thinking of closing your account. Don’t close it, just thinking of closing your account, because of the upcoming change in the thank you point redemptions.
If the number you called is the one on the back of your credit card, and they ask you to hold on while they connect you to another department, I think you are in the chips
Just tell that second person what you are thinking of doing and then shut up.
The next one to speak loses.
My guess is Citibank is in crisis mode and they are offering retention bonuses to not lose credit card customers.
If I can get offers with cards I have never used, and cards I quit using, you owe it to yourself to try.
I’m only suggesting you try this with Citicards and if they want to cancel your card without a bonus, start to back peddle and say you changed your mind and will keep it.
I’d love to hear if your experiences are similar to mine, and we’ll share the info for others to benefit as well.
Drop me a line at
Update? Anybody Gonna Try Today for Free Thank You Points?
1. Aloha S. was offered 3K points or $50 statement credit. Next?
2. NYU was offered a 3K retention bonus to renew his Starwood card for the $45 annual fee.
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)