The Oneworld desk came up with this layover at Heathrow as they could not get us all the way to Zurich on the same day we flew over from South America. As it turns out, it was meant to be as I was able to commit to an interview with CNN World Business Traveller on current travel conditions, our trip, and whatever else is on their mind. We will be meeting in the Sheraton Skyline Hotel and I’m looking forward to spreading the Frugal Word worldwide.
The reporter pickup up the idea from the Arthur Frommer’s piece of March and wanted my opinions on hotel rewards and availability. As we discussed the topic, the idea of a face to face interview was quite appealing to her. Glad I “rinsed out a few things” in Rio and have my lucky Hawaii shirt “on the ready” It doesn’t match the blue flip flops, but remember, this is a carry on only round the world trip. And after a night in a BA Business Class lay flat seat and shower upon arrival, I’ll be up to the challenge.
Thanks for all your emails and words of support. I hope the trip report and photos are as fun for you as they are for us.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95