Basil is becoming a Frugal Guy of the Jedi proportions. His email is a reminder that no credit card annual fee bill should be accepted and paid without asking for a retention bonus.
Here is Basil’s note to me:
“Called Amex – said the $395 for the platinum card was a tough pill to swallow and that I was thinking of dropping the platinum card and getting the Continental Visa with Club Access – they immediately offered up 15,000 points for me to stay with is worth at least $250 to me. So, I kept the card and have another year of lounge access for CO and AA and DL and NW.”
He asked and received 15,000 AMEX points for his effort. Please don’t forget to ask.
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)