World economic downturn
Swine Flu (the Asian Conference is here to discuss it)
The breakfast restaurant this morning had maybe 20 people in it. It seats way over 300 would be my guess. There were 3 tables of non Asians.
According to the head hostess it is the TV that is tearing up their business. They offered us the breakfast buffet last night when we checked in. We declined, and they actually came back with a special offer with lower price for breakfast. A special price for a breakfast buffet???
The city skyline is mostly newer construction and high end work. They did not scrimp on decorative molding or window treatments. The three buildings directly outside my window appear to be residential on the left, office in the center (tall) and unknown on the right. I can’t see in the office buildings but there were very few lights on last evening at dusk. The residences appear to be almost vacant as there are very few units with curtains or anything on the porches. The windows show me empty units.
The skyline from our window again shows 4 construction cranes and one skyscraper under construction. What ever expansion was happening here has stopped.
The hotel staff are amazingly attentive. I’m starting to see why SE Asia is such a strong tourist area. Amazing prices and warm, kind, friendly people. (except for the secret service guys last night) If the rest of our stay is anything like our first day here, we will be back.
TravelZoo Top Twenty Email List
TravelZoo checks and verifies over 200 travel sources each week to find you the best bargains. I get it every week. It is Free and easy to scan through.
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)