If you stand in front of the hotel looking at the water and turn right, walk past Duke’s Restaurant and turn the corner uphill towards the bridge. Just before the bridge on the right hand side of the walk is a T shirt souvenir shop, walk straight through it and you ‘ll be at the back of the Hut. Two stories high with a crows nest dining spot upstairs. Walk around to the front and order a local favorite the Loco Moco of rice, egg, hamburg and brown gravy. Or another favorite is the Ono Fish Sandwich, with onion, lettuce, tomato and mayo. Ono is a mild fish and their biggest seller. No need for a tuxedo, tie or even shoes here. Just have a good meal at a reasonable price and enjoy the local show. And of course the ever present chickens.
Vertigo for the Frugal Guy
It started yesterday. Every time I change positions from horizontal to sitting up or standing the room starts spinning. It happened once before while in Seattle, but I attributed that to just getting off a cruise ship after 5 weeks.
For those that have not had the experience it is very unsettling and limiting. Katy has to help me move around and keep me from changing my point of focus too drastically. It is great being married to a nurse. For the next couple days I have to sit by the pool in the shade, handling email, having my meals brought to me, hunting for travel deals.
Somebody has got to do it, right? I just hope it clears before I have to drive home.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95