Finally a fee reduction. Here is the letter I got today from United Airlines.
Dear Mr. Frugal Travel Guy,
Beginning July 30, 2009, all members can book a Mileage Plus® Award ticket less than 21 days in advance, and pay no close-in processing fees.
Of course, as a United Global Services® or 1K® member you are still exempt from all award fees. You will continue to have exclusive inventory of United Economy® Saver Award seats reserved solely for your redemption.
We are the first airline to remove the close-in award processing fee to provide even more value for continued loyalty. This is one of the steps we are taking this year to make Mileage Plus the most rewarding loyalty program for our members. Book an award ticket today.
Thank you for your continued loyalty.
Executive Vice President of Marketing
President of Mileage Plus
And the really great news is that the fee has been removed for all members, not just those with Elite Status. Nice move United!
Rick Ingersoll is one of the world’s experts on frugal travel and flying free and the author of The Frugal Travel Guy Handbook. A retired mortgage banker from Traverse City, Michigan, he has retired to Hilton Head Island,... All Articles
| Follow on Google+
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95
Within 90 days
Coffee Shops Purchases
Fast Food Purchases
Alcohol & Bars Purchases