Dansdeals published a post that Dmitriy brought to my attention on a great use of SPG flights for short direct non stop flights.
When redeeming SPG points to LAN the ratio is 1 SPG to 2 LAN. This in part takes care of the difference in distances as LAN measures in kilometers not miles. So 20,000 SPG points becomes 40,000 LAN kms but don’t forget to add the bonus of 5K per 20K which is now 10K because of the 2 for 1 transfer ratio. 20,000 SPG points becomes 50,000 LAN kms. LAN is a member of the Oneworld alliance so in the USA you will be using these miles on American Airlines in most cases or maybe Alaska on the west coast.
I can go from SAV to Miami on AA for 3200 SPG points or 8K LAN kms and the other hub is Dallas DFW at 4800 SPG or 12000 LAN km. That SAV-DFW one way would cost $572 one way with a short time frame.
50K LAN will get you some other interesting non stops.
- New York LGA to Boston 2400 SPG points one way
- Chicago to Toronto 3200 SPG points one way
- New York to Chicago 4000 SPG points one way
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)