Dansdeals published a post that Dmitriy brought to my attention on a great use of SPG flights for short direct non stop flights.
When redeeming SPG points to LAN the ratio is 1 SPG to 2 LAN. This in part takes care of the difference in distances as LAN measures in kilometers not miles. So 20,000 SPG points becomes 40,000 LAN kms but don’t forget to add the bonus of 5K per 20K which is now 10K because of the 2 for 1 transfer ratio. 20,000 SPG points becomes 50,000 LAN kms. LAN is a member of the Oneworld alliance so in the USA you will be using these miles on American Airlines in most cases or maybe Alaska on the west coast.
I can go from SAV to Miami on AA for 3200 SPG points or 8K LAN kms and the other hub is Dallas DFW at 4800 SPG or 12000 LAN km. That SAV-DFW one way would cost $572 one way with a short time frame.
50K LAN will get you some other interesting non stops.
- New York LGA to Boston 2400 SPG points one way
- Chicago to Toronto 3200 SPG points one way
- New York to Chicago 4000 SPG points one way
IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card
- Annual Fee: $49 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Hotel
The IHG Rewards Club Visa is often cited as one of the most underrated hotel credit cards, with good reason. The official offer is for 70,000 points after $1,000 spent within three months, with the first year’s fee waived. The card comes with an annual free night certificate that can be used at any IHG property, including Intercontinental hotels - making this certificate worth upwards of 50,000 points. This is far more generous than some other hotel cards, which limit the categories in which free night certificates can be redeemed.
Cardholders earn 5 points per dollar at IHG hotels; 2 points per dollar at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants; 1 point per dollar everywhere else. Moreover, you’ll get a 10% rebate on award redemptions, up to 100,000 points per year. The card also comes with Platinum status, though that doesn’t get you much with IHG. Still, this is a fantastic card to have in your wallet, with benefits that far outweigh the already low $49 annual fee.
- Earn 70,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months of account opening
- Enjoy a free night of card membership at over 4,700 hotels worldwide
- Earn 5 points for each $1 spent at our hotels
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants
- Bonus points redeemable at hotels such as Intercontinental® Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts and Holiday Inn®
- Automatic platinum elite status, as long as you remain a cardmember
- $0 introductory annual fee the first year, then $49