Sam sent me this interesting was of cutting one way car rentals. We have remeoved the name of the US based company, but they are not trying harder, if that helps. And his follow up email gives an even more intriguing idea of pitting one country location against another countrys site for best rate guarantees.Thanks Sam
I read about your frustration over rental car drop charges-they drive me nuts too. I have been chasing a reasonable price for a 4 day rental from Boston to EWR in November but everything was nuts-the best I found was $380 with National for four days. Hertz was over $700.
1. The France xxxxx website is in French (duh) but it mirrors the US site so if you’ve booked on xxxx.com, you should be able to book on xxxxx.fr. Or you can open a window on both and just mirror the US fields as you go along.
2. My email confirmation for the final reservation has language in French that they may ask for proof that you were overseas (like a hotel bill), and that if you weren’t in the country where you booked it, they can the void the reservation. I’m ok with that here since I am in that country (and I can prove it), and I’m keeping that National res open just in case. I did not read the warning language to say anything about continuity-I didn’t see anything prohibiting booking a xxxxx res now from xxxxx.fr for a rental I’ll pick-up four months after I get home. I’ll have my email confirm with me at pick-up and while my French isn’t great, it’s likely better than the xxxxx counter person in Boston.
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)