Last week I mentioned that Dmitriy has been calling to cancel his Citi AA cards right after receiving his sign up bonus with some fairly decent results. I thought it may be a worthwhile project for some of us that recently loaded up with AA cards on our multi card application experiment. And any others that have recently got their sign up bonuses are welcome to try this technique as well.
A call to the phone number on the back of your new Citi AA card may net you some additional miles. I have never personally been this aggressive, but I have assurances it works in varying degrees.
Assuming you call after getting your sign up bonus, I can see a conversation going something like this:
” I want to cancel my Citi AA card as I found a card I like better”
“Hold on, let me connect you to a specialist in that department”
“I want to cancel my Citi AA card as I found a card I like better”
“I see you just got the card, why do you want to cancel?” (they very seldom listen)
” I’m going to try a card from Chase Bank that is part of their rewards program”
“I’m sorry to hear that Mr./Mrs/Ms frugal travel type person. Can I offer you:
- a. double miles for the next 4 months?
- b. 5K bonus if you spend $2500 in the next three months?
- c. a statement credit of $50 to retain the card?”
You won’t get all three, but I’m guessing you’ll get an offer to retain the card. Citi just bought several billion dollars of AA miles. They will not be looking to lose customers.
Of course I’ll post the results, and I’ll try one or two myself and report in. As I posted yesterday, I have plenty of cards to try it on.
If you have your bonus already, what do you have to lose? I have never heard of them taking back the miles you just got.
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)