Eric sent this info on new technology along that may save our road warriors some money.
I wish I could give you a “techie computer review” but as most of you know, I’m lucky to get the darn thing turned on properly. Here is Eric’s email to all of us:
This is a little different than the usual air/hotel/car info, but I wanted to share a possible savings idea with you and the other readers.
Several wireless carriers have a new device available called the “MiFi”, which is a portable, rechargeable high-speed WiFi hotspot for your computer that runs off the cellular network. It costs $60/month for 5GB/month of usage, although there are cheaper plans for casual users.
With internet access still running $10-$15 a day in many hotels and airports, it may be a good option for some road warriors. The other great thing is you get up to 5 simultaneous, untethered connections, so if you have a travel buddy in a place without wireless, you both can share the MiFi signal up to 30-40 feet.
It’s also great for car travel if you have kids who play video games over the internet, and iPod Touch users will understand the great benefit in having one. I believe the units cost about $100, but anyone with a good discount on personal phones at work should see them for $49, or even free.
I hope at least a few people find value in this suggestion.
Thanks again Eric. We can all use all the help we can get.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95