Eric sent this info on new technology along that may save our road warriors some money.
I wish I could give you a “techie computer review” but as most of you know, I’m lucky to get the darn thing turned on properly. Here is Eric’s email to all of us:
This is a little different than the usual air/hotel/car info, but I wanted to share a possible savings idea with you and the other readers.
Several wireless carriers have a new device available called the “MiFi”, which is a portable, rechargeable high-speed WiFi hotspot for your computer that runs off the cellular network. It costs $60/month for 5GB/month of usage, although there are cheaper plans for casual users.
With internet access still running $10-$15 a day in many hotels and airports, it may be a good option for some road warriors. The other great thing is you get up to 5 simultaneous, untethered connections, so if you have a travel buddy in a place without wireless, you both can share the MiFi signal up to 30-40 feet.
It’s also great for car travel if you have kids who play video games over the internet, and iPod Touch users will understand the great benefit in having one. I believe the units cost about $100, but anyone with a good discount on personal phones at work should see them for $49, or even free.
I hope at least a few people find value in this suggestion.
Thanks again Eric. We can all use all the help we can get.
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)