Ric Garrido of the Loyalty Travel Blog has done a three part series on how he determines when to use his Hilton points and when to pay cash. Ric is a specialist in hotel redemption’s and especially in the higher end hotels, and he knows a decent value for his points.
Ric’s basic premise is: if you are receiving $7 in value for every 1,000 Hilton Honors points, you are getting an excellent value for your points. His math correlates with my feeling that Hilton Honors points are worth .7 cents each to me, as that is the rate at which I will redeem my Hilton Honors points.
And if you follow his analysis further, you will see some of the best redemption values are at the lower end of the category scale.
If there is a way you can bookmark this page or better yet, Ric’s 3 page spread, it will serve you well in the future when deciding: Do I pay Cash? or Use my Points?
Citi Prestige® Card
- Annual Fee: $450 fee
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The increase to 50,000 ThankYou points for the Citi Prestige card may be a signal that Citi wants back in the game, big time. The sign-up bonus has just been increased to 50K points from the previous 30K offer. An added benefit is a $250 annual air travel credit each calendar year -- so, if you sign up in April, you'll receive the credit this year, and again in January of next year -- which more than covers the $450 first year fee. When you add in lounge access for you and up to two of your guests, you’ve added another $400+ in value. One more benefit worth mentioning is the fourth night free for any four-night hotel stay booked through Wagonlit Travel. And lastly is the $100 statement credit when you sign up for Global Entry and pay for it using the Prestige card. Don’t forget the ever-growing number of airline transfer partners that work with the ThankYou points program.
- $250 Air Travel Credit each year
- Complimentary 4th Night for any hotel stay
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after $3,000 in purchases made with your card in the first 3 months the account is open.
- Points are redeemable for an $800 flight on American Airlines or US Airways®, a $665 flight on any other airline or $500 in gift cards.
- Transfer points to a variety of travel loyalty programs from airlines to hotels.
- Earn 3x points on Air Travel and Hotels
- Earn 2x points on Dining at Restaurants and Entertainment
- 1 ThankYou® Point per $1 spent on other purchases