Ric Garrido of the Loyalty Travel Blog has done a three part series on how he determines when to use his Hilton points and when to pay cash. Ric is a specialist in hotel redemption’s and especially in the higher end hotels, and he knows a decent value for his points.
Ric’s basic premise is: if you are receiving $7 in value for every 1,000 Hilton Honors points, you are getting an excellent value for your points. His math correlates with my feeling that Hilton Honors points are worth .7 cents each to me, as that is the rate at which I will redeem my Hilton Honors points.
And if you follow his analysis further, you will see some of the best redemption values are at the lower end of the category scale.
If there is a way you can bookmark this page or better yet, Ric’s 3 page spread, it will serve you well in the future when deciding: Do I pay Cash? or Use my Points?
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)