A couple of days ago I got a call from my son Andrew in Sydney. We always have fun on the phone and talk about anything and everything. Jobs, relationships, travel, money, politics, religion, the differences in the two countries and their cultures…
He gave me a great compliment by inviting me to join him for the exploration of his seventh and final continent in December of 2010. He has booked his trip to Antarctica and his quest to see all seven continents by his 30th birthday will be complete.
It was a special feeling to be included. I wish I could have said “yes”, but I’m hesitant at 60 years of age in taking on that trip. It is not so much the travel to South America, but the ride in conditions I may not be able to handle on a ship for the time down, there and back. I know it will be summer then, but would feel awful if I somehow held up the show or compromised the trip for him and others.
I of course will reconsider over the next couple of days, but it was a thrill just to think my son would want me along.
I did volunteer to join him on the Easter Island pre trip as it sounds a little more sedate and comfortable. I hope I can at least make that part of his 7th continent trip come true.
Being a Dad is a special gift. Happy early (or belated) Father’s Day to each and every one of you!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95