Header Photo Franz Josef Glacier South Island New Zealand
I know you are all stuck in 2009, but things look great here in 2010 from Kiwi land and Summer time in the Southern Hemisphere. The International Date Line gives us an extra day in 2010, and we’ll need it to recuperate after the long flights here and late night last.
December 31st for us consisted of a road trip up the east side of Lake Wakatipu to the small town of Glenorachy at the head of the lake. We continued on to Diamond Lake, the burg of Paradise and then Cinnamon bluff. The lupine was in full bloom everywhere we looked.
The 46 kilometers from Queenstown to Glenorchy was on paved but empty two lane road with spectacular scenery the entire way. The photo above is of the lake looking towards Glenorchy. From there we headed inland on gravel roads for another 20K crossing 6 streams in the roadbed until we could get our rental car no further. We were surrounded by the mountains and crossing between meadows of sheep and thick woodlands.
Today was one of those days that make me really grateful I took up this hobby of frugal travel. The entire trip all 20+ hours was worth it already to see the sights and feel the feelings in this beautiful countryside. I am so glad we came back to NZ.
While standing along a rushing mountain stream I realized I had made the transition from human doing to human being without even realizing it. The mind quits thinking and I just am. I am at peace with the world and myself.
I wish these sites and views for all of you. Happy New Year!
Rick Ingersoll is one of the world’s experts on frugal travel and flying free and the author of The Frugal Travel Guy Handbook. A retired mortgage banker from Traverse City, Michigan, he has retired to Hilton Head Island,... All Articles
| Follow on Google+
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)
Gas & Fuel Purchases