For some reason there is a bumper crop of seeds from either the birch or willow trees this year. The abundance of seeds has led to an abundance of mice and believe it or not, mice swim! (I had no idea.) It seems that they provide an excellent source of protein for the trout that this year are averaging 3 kilos instead of 1 to 1.5 kilos.
I am not making this up. It has been reported in both the newspapers and on the TV last night. Now that I’m somewhat healthy again and won’t get soaked trying my luck, today or tomorrow may be my big day.
But it sure takes the romance out of eating fresh rainbow trout doesn’t it?
My son Andrew joined up for a few days and you’ll get to see some of his photography skills in the next few days. We are up to Raspberry Creek today to view Mt. Aspiring. The snow capped Southern Alps are in the background the sun is out and I am raring to go.
IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card
- Annual Fee: $49 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Hotel
The IHG Rewards Club Visa is often cited as one of the most underrated hotel credit cards, with good reason. The official offer is for 70,000 points after $1,000 spent within three months, with the first year’s fee waived. The card comes with an annual free night certificate that can be used at any IHG property, including Intercontinental hotels - making this certificate worth upwards of 50,000 points. This is far more generous than some other hotel cards, which limit the categories in which free night certificates can be redeemed.
Cardholders earn 5 points per dollar at IHG hotels; 2 points per dollar at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants; 1 point per dollar everywhere else. Moreover, you’ll get a 10% rebate on award redemptions, up to 100,000 points per year. The card also comes with Platinum status, though that doesn’t get you much with IHG. Still, this is a fantastic card to have in your wallet, with benefits that far outweigh the already low $49 annual fee.
- Earn 70,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months of account opening
- Enjoy a free night of card membership at over 4,700 hotels worldwide
- Earn 5 points for each $1 spent at our hotels
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants
- Bonus points redeemable at hotels such as Intercontinental® Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts and Holiday Inn®
- Automatic platinum elite status, as long as you remain a cardmember
- $0 introductory annual fee the first year, then $49