Last month Platinum status was available for free from Hyatt. Jonathan scored that upgrade and used it to get the Diamond Status Match from Best Western. Nice move.
Then taking it one step further he sent this simple letter to Starwood for a match based on the two he already had:
“I wanted to inquire about a status match. I have Platinum status at Hyatt and Diamond status at Best Western. Can Starwood offer me a status boost?
And here comes Starwood’s reply:
“Dear Mr. XXXXX,
Thank you for your recent email concerning your Starwood Preferred Guest account. I welcome this opportunity to assist you.
I am pleased to advise you that we have upgraded your account to the Gold Preferred level of membership as a gesture of goodwill. Please keep in mind that all renewals and membership levels in the Starwood Preferred Guest program are based on the number of stays a member has in a calendar year; the Gold Preferred level membership requires a minimum of ten stays or twenty-five room nights in a calendar year.
There are some great benefits that we reserve for our most loyal guests including earning Starpoints faster and automatic room upgrades. You just need to complete these stays anytime this year to be automatically upgraded to this level.
Starwood Preferred Guest members can transfer Starpoints to the American Red Cross in support of relief efforts in Haiti, and Starwood will match those Starpoint contributions made through February 28, 2010. Please note that donated Starpoints are not tax deductible.
Donations may be made in the following amounts:
•2,000 Starpoints = $25 USD donation
•4,000 Starpoints = $50 USD donation
•8,000 Starpoints = $100 USD donation
•12,000 Starpoints = $150 USD donation
•16,000 Starpoints = $200 USD donation
We appreciate your continued loyalty to the Starwood Preferred Guest program and welcome any further questions or concerns. Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Specialist, E-Communications Department
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide”
And then, Jonathan decides the following:
I think I’ll bide my time before I hit up Hilton, Marriott, etc. that way I can rotate it every 11 months or so, and have at least 1 preferred status at a time.
How much easier can he make it for you? Great thinking. Way to put a promo to use for more than is readily available.”
Jonathan is the Frugal Travel Guy of the Day!
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)