I just had a reader confirm that the offer ends on April 30th per a CSR at Chase. I’d heard the rumor, now have confirmation.
Here’s a little tip for your site. Amex offers upgraded
rental car insurance for a flat fee of $25 for the whole rental period
for rentals of up to 42 days. You just have to sign your amex card up
for the service, and the $25 will be billed every time you rent a car.
The great deal is that if you pay with a different card when you
return the car, you get the $25 refunded by contacting amex and asking
for a refund. that means in effect that you get premium insurance for
Sounds too good to be true, but I just spoke at length with an
Amex rep at 800-338-1670, and she assured me that was the case. to
enroll or get more info, check out
Best Hobby in the World
I got this email a week or so ago and was the first thing I read in the morning. My day was made. The tip came to me from one of you, and I’m sorry I can’t remember who it was, but please share the joy of helping this young soldier out.
The Frugal Travel Guy blog readers should win some type of online award for being the most generous helpful people in the world. I know Mike F (above) is smiling with his free round trip ticket. Thanks again to all that contribute.
I just wanted to take the time to THANK YOU for updating us on the Amex Premier Rewards Card bonus. I was thinking about jumping in on this one, but was hesitant to commit to the $1000 spending threshold. After your post about the “popup and email” workaround, I applied and was approved. I couldn’t have done it without you.
Thanks to your blog, I’ve already been able to take advantage of the BankDirect promotion, I’ve learned a ton about properly managing my credit, and how to leverage it for free travel. I’m only 22, and still in the military, but I’m already well on my way to becoming my own, self-styled, “frugal travel guy”.
Thank you for all you do. You really do make a difference in the lives of us “little guys”.
Keep up the good work,
Don’t you think Mike should be Frugal Travel Guy of the Day for what he is doing for all of us?
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95