I griped and grumbled about the devaluation of Hilton points earlier this year, and I’m really still not happy about it. But the two Hilton locations we have been to on this trip have been great. The West End in Budapest was nice, smaller than this one in Berlin but all around a great deal on points. The Hilton here in Berlin is very well located about 500 meters from Checkpoint Charlie, with shopping and restaurants nearby and the breakfast spread they put out is fantastic. Three cheers again for Hilton Gold status.
I actually reconsidered my two remaining Priority Club reservations and thought about staying at Hiltons in Warsaw and Krakow. But the Tripadvisor reviews are all pluses for the Holiday Inns. I’ll miss those free breakfasts though. My Platinum status came through from Priority Club after my purchase of 30,000 points on that daily deals thing that ended last week. I don’t think it will feed us, but should help get a nice room at least.
IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card
- Annual Fee: $49 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Hotel
The IHG Rewards Club Visa is often cited as one of the most underrated hotel credit cards, with good reason. The official offer is for 70,000 points after $1,000 spent within three months, with the first year’s fee waived. The card comes with an annual free night certificate that can be used at any IHG property, including Intercontinental hotels - making this certificate worth upwards of 50,000 points. This is far more generous than some other hotel cards, which limit the categories in which free night certificates can be redeemed.
Cardholders earn 5 points per dollar at IHG hotels; 2 points per dollar at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants; 1 point per dollar everywhere else. Moreover, you’ll get a 10% rebate on award redemptions, up to 100,000 points per year. The card also comes with Platinum status, though that doesn’t get you much with IHG. Still, this is a fantastic card to have in your wallet, with benefits that far outweigh the already low $49 annual fee.
- Earn 70,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months of account opening
- Enjoy a free night of card membership at over 4,700 hotels worldwide
- Earn 5 points for each $1 spent at our hotels
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants
- Bonus points redeemable at hotels such as Intercontinental® Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts and Holiday Inn®
- Automatic platinum elite status, as long as you remain a cardmember
- $0 introductory annual fee the first year, then $49