I took advantage of this offer several years ago when I needed some reasonably priced airline miles and lounge access. Take a look, to see if this makes sense for you for the next twelve months.
The Platinum Card from American Express is a higher end charge card with a $450 annual fee. Now, don’t jump back just yet. For your $450 you get 25,000 Membership Rewards points which you can transfer into a host of airline programs. If you need to buy miles to hit an award level, this may be just your answer. Assign in your mind a value of 1 cent per Membership Rewards point and transfer them to your target account. Here is a partial list of transfer possibilities:
- 1:1 with Air Canada
- 1:1 British Airways
- 1:1 Continental Airlines ( and with the merger UA)
- 1:1 Delta Airlines
- 1:1 Flying Blue
- 1:1 Virgin Atlantic
- 1200 MR points = 1 Airtran credit
- 250 MR points + 200 True Blue points
The transfers into hotel points offers a lousy trade value. Forget it.
If you assign 1 cent per mile value for points you are transferring into an airline program, somehow you need to get at least $200 of additional value to cover the first year annual fee.
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)