I took advantage of this offer several years ago when I needed some reasonably priced airline miles and lounge access. Take a look, to see if this makes sense for you for the next twelve months.
The Platinum Card from American Express is a higher end charge card with a $450 annual fee. Now, don’t jump back just yet. For your $450 you get 25,000 Membership Rewards points which you can transfer into a host of airline programs. If you need to buy miles to hit an award level, this may be just your answer. Assign in your mind a value of 1 cent per Membership Rewards point and transfer them to your target account. Here is a partial list of transfer possibilities:
- 1:1 with Air Canada
- 1:1 British Airways
- 1:1 Continental Airlines ( and with the merger UA)
- 1:1 Delta Airlines
- 1:1 Flying Blue
- 1:1 Virgin Atlantic
- 1200 MR points = 1 Airtran credit
- 250 MR points + 200 True Blue points
The transfers into hotel points offers a lousy trade value. Forget it.
If you assign 1 cent per mile value for points you are transferring into an airline program, somehow you need to get at least $200 of additional value to cover the first year annual fee.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95