Target Field Minneapolis, Minnesota 7/21/10
I got an email yesterday morning from a long time reader that asked me to keep this info under my hat until we could confirm. We have now confirmed and have in writing that existing SPG card holders may indeed be able to take advantage of the 30K offer that ends this month.
James wrote the AMEX secure message center and indicated he was concerned that he only got 10K sign up bonus when he got his long standing SPG card and now there was a 30K sign up bonus. He asked if he should cancel his current card and reapply, and, would he then get the 30K bonus. The reply he received was:
1.; Not to cancel his current card but go ahead and apply for a second SPG personal card and they would give him the new 30K bonus. Reread that sentence again.
I was to confirm and did by sending a similar inquiry to the Amex secure online message center yesterday. My reply was almost the same;
1. I did not need to cancel my existing SPG card and if I applied for a new card and met the spend requirements I would get the difference of my original bonus and the new 30K bonus. ( I originally got 10K).
NOTE the differences in our responses.
James was to get it all (30K) and I was to get the difference.
NOTE we do not have to cancel our existing cards.
The most important NOTE. We have it in writing and will not be deleting our secure emails from Amex. Amex online secure message center has always come through for me.
To date, we have only tried this with the personal card. We are playing the business card emails now and will get back to the group ASAP as the offer ends on July 31st.
I can not tell you how old your existing Amex SPG card needs to be.
I can not tell you if it will work on the business card yet.
I can tell you I’d be writing the secure message center if I were you and keeping a copy of the email response.
There is speculation on Flyertalk that the offer is really for 40K SPG. I’m not yet convinced, but it just may be.
Mass emails may kill this opportunity. It may not. I remember in the past, that many of us got the new 15K spend bonus on our old cards when we requested it early in the play. Later requesters were denied.
Here is my request of the group, if you get a response to a secure email you send to Amex, share it with us in the comments section, as James shared it with you. I am particularly interested in the Business card question.
And if you score an extra 20K or 30K SPG it is all thanks to our Anonymous Frugal Travel Guy of the Day-James
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95