Everyday it seems I’m, being asked what to do with my newly acquired Amex MR (Membership Rewards) points. The phenom must be because everyone is now seeing the 25K in their accounts from the Premier Travel Rewards card we scored on earlier this year. My answers vary according to the email but my best advice is:
Don’t do anything with them. Just let them sit. If you don’t know which program to transfer them to, don’t transfer them yet. They are like money in the bank. They aren’t going anywhere in the near future. Amex does not tend to devalue often. I’m holding onto mine.
I wanted to see the new Minnesota Twins ballpark as I’m trying to keep up with having seen every major league ballpark. The ticket was almost $400 for the one hour non-stop on Delta. Sounds like the perfect use for Katy’s free 25K MR points. (mine had not posted yet). The transfer to Delta was instant and I booked my ticket 5 minutes later. Suppose I had put them in my CO account?
And what happens when a terrific, once in a lifetime, mistake fare shows up from Boise, Idaho or Pensacola, Florida as examples. A magnificent opportunity to visit a dream destination. Problem is you don’t live near Boise or Pensacola? But with the
25K MR points you have not committed to a given program, you can now fly free on an award ticket to the starting point and enjoy your dream destination.
If nothing is forcing your hand, don’t force a decision and act too quickly. It’s the same advice with credit card cancellations. What is the big hurry? Wait until the time is right or somebody is asking for money from your pocket.
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)