Imagine this problem: You have so many new credit card approvals for free miles that you can’t keep up with the minimum spends. That is where we find ourselves right now.
To start we each did the Chase Business Checking account with 25,000 Continental miles. We opened the accounts with $565 each ($65 for the debit card) and are burning through that chunk of change already spent.
We followed up with a personal SPG card for me and a business SPG card for both of us. That totals $3000 more in spend to get the bonuses.
And we each just picked up the Chase Sapphire Preferred card for 25,000 points which we personally will convert into CO miles to finish off our first class tickets to Hawaii in January. That is another $6000 in minimum spend at $3K each.
Thank goodness the Hilton Surpass card we are getting for Katybug gives 40,000 Honors points on first purchase without a minimum spend there. That will get us Hhonors Gold for one more year.
I’m looking at $10,000 of credit card spend to collect all these big bonuses and we just don’t spend that much. I definitely going to have to go back to the Mint for a few thousand coins with our SPG cards to make this happen in time. Maybe I can prepay my condo dues or something??
And, we are still awaiting word on the Citi AA cards at 75K in points each and a minimum spend there as well.
Yep, High Class Problems.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95