Rookie Bootcamp Leader Dave Homyak
Pudding Guy David Phillips
The Getting Skinnier Frugal Travel Guy
I am constantly amazed at the inconsistency of offers available online from miles promotions to credit card sign up bonuses. We all know the wording on miles and points promotions is quite often less than concise to say the least. I ran into a situation last week that needs to be bought up, so you will keep it in mind.
We just went through a real nice Amex Premier Rewards card promotion with a 25,000 point sign up bonus and no first year fee. It was originally set to expire on October 12th and I had set my ads up to stop running on that day. A reader sent me an email indicating that he saw a banner ad on Flyertalk that said the 25k promotion had been extended until October 25th. More time for those of you sitting on the fence. I contacted two of the companies that supply ads for Amex cards for me and was told “No it expires on the 12th. Remove your ads. ” I followed their suggestion and removed the ads. But you can still get the 25K sign up bonus on an ad on Flyertalk. I see it on the American Express forum in the Miles Buzz Forums section. If you want this card and the bigger sign up bonus, go there before October 25th. After that, it will revert back to 15,000 points. I will always try to inform you of the best offer, even if it is better than the links I can provide (current example are the Citi card promos in the “Rick’s Top Seven Travel Deals”) It is much better through October 31st than the ad I have for creditcards.com . Those are 30K only.
Why the discrepancy? Who knows, but it brings up again the need for all of us, no matter what promo we are working or what sign up bonus we are trying to get the “Print the Ad and Promo Rules”… that includes expiration dates.
Print it all is my best advice. When your points or miles post, you can throw the stuff away, but keep it til it posts.
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)