After searching through my vouchers and coupons folder I found $850 of AA gift cards that worked out just perfect for a 5 night trip to Aruba. The flights worked well as we can fly non-stop to Miami and then direct to Aruba. I’ve got some 500 mile upgrades as well that may get credited with my platinum status. The ticket cost was $500 each and after the vouchers came to $199.90 out of pocket. That and a free room is my kind of trip.
Our hotel is the Westin Aruba Resort and Casino. The category is cat 4 at 10,000 points per night or $342 (not). I did the 5th night free option so 40K in SPG points. Early January is the coldest month on Hilton Head so our timing appears fine. And word has it, they have a casino onsite. That may increase my trip cost somewhat????
IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card
- Annual Fee: $49 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Hotel
The IHG Rewards Club Visa is often cited as one of the most underrated hotel credit cards, with good reason. The official offer is for 70,000 points after $1,000 spent within three months, with the first year’s fee waived. The card comes with an annual free night certificate that can be used at any IHG property, including Intercontinental hotels - making this certificate worth upwards of 50,000 points. This is far more generous than some other hotel cards, which limit the categories in which free night certificates can be redeemed.
Cardholders earn 5 points per dollar at IHG hotels; 2 points per dollar at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants; 1 point per dollar everywhere else. Moreover, you’ll get a 10% rebate on award redemptions, up to 100,000 points per year. The card also comes with Platinum status, though that doesn’t get you much with IHG. Still, this is a fantastic card to have in your wallet, with benefits that far outweigh the already low $49 annual fee.
- Earn 70,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months of account opening
- Enjoy a free night of card membership at over 4,700 hotels worldwide
- Earn 5 points for each $1 spent at our hotels
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants
- Bonus points redeemable at hotels such as Intercontinental® Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts and Holiday Inn®
- Automatic platinum elite status, as long as you remain a cardmember
- $0 introductory annual fee the first year, then $49