After searching through my vouchers and coupons folder I found $850 of AA gift cards that worked out just perfect for a 5 night trip to Aruba. The flights worked well as we can fly non-stop to Miami and then direct to Aruba. I’ve got some 500 mile upgrades as well that may get credited with my platinum status. The ticket cost was $500 each and after the vouchers came to $199.90 out of pocket. That and a free room is my kind of trip.
Our hotel is the Westin Aruba Resort and Casino. The category is cat 4 at 10,000 points per night or $342 (not). I did the 5th night free option so 40K in SPG points. Early January is the coldest month on Hilton Head so our timing appears fine. And word has it, they have a casino onsite. That may increase my trip cost somewhat????
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)