After searching through my vouchers and coupons folder I found $850 of AA gift cards that worked out just perfect for a 5 night trip to Aruba. The flights worked well as we can fly non-stop to Miami and then direct to Aruba. I’ve got some 500 mile upgrades as well that may get credited with my platinum status. The ticket cost was $500 each and after the vouchers came to $199.90 out of pocket. That and a free room is my kind of trip.
Our hotel is the Westin Aruba Resort and Casino. The category is cat 4 at 10,000 points per night or $342 (not). I did the 5th night free option so 40K in SPG points. Early January is the coldest month on Hilton Head so our timing appears fine. And word has it, they have a casino onsite. That may increase my trip cost somewhat????
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95