We cut our RTW trip back to just Europe again as the combination of locations we wanted worldwide did not use our miles to their best ability. Thanks to Gary for helping us square away a nice vacation with limited points outlay. We will catch China, Australia, and Hawaii on our next big adventure later in the year. Here is what we have accomplished so far:
SAV-IAD on a one-way paid or award to attend my son’s graduation from graduate school. We will then depart IAD to Kos, Greece using a business class award one way for 52,500 miles each. Most of it is on Lufthansa with the last segment on Aegean.
We have 4 nights at the Doubletree Resort on Kos at a total of 50K Hilton Honors points and then are paying 118 Euros total for two to fly back to Athens on Aegean Airlines. We are then using a United one way Star Alliance award (12,500 miles each) for the nonstop Croatia Airlines to Dubrovnik. The ticket price was $377 each for the one way so a great use of the UA miles there.
5 nights at the Hilton Imperial Dubrovnik a category 7 for 200K HH points as a VIP award. We can explore the islands around Dubrovnik and come home to luxury every evening.
We’ll then drive or take a bus, or fly to Split, Croatia for 4 nights on a cash and points SPG stay at the Le Meridien Split. The cost was $240 and 16,000 SPG points.
It is then a one way American Award Split to Budapest to Amsterdam on Malev at 10,000 points each.
We have three nights at the Hilton (120K HH points) at the Airport as we have an early departure last day. It is only 20 minutes into the city and I believe a train is the best bet there. We get two full days in Amsterdam this way and are right at the airport for that 9 AM Continental business class flight to Newark followed by the puddle jumper back to Savannah.
Gary Leff helped us find the flights and info we needed and made my job, just booking the hotels. I appreciated the service and can recommend him highly.
$240 + 118 Euros and a few taxes. That my friends is frugal travel at its best. Thanks Gary!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95