We cut our RTW trip back to just Europe again as the combination of locations we wanted worldwide did not use our miles to their best ability. Thanks to Gary for helping us square away a nice vacation with limited points outlay. We will catch China, Australia, and Hawaii on our next big adventure later in the year. Here is what we have accomplished so far:
SAV-IAD on a one-way paid or award to attend my son’s graduation from graduate school. We will then depart IAD to Kos, Greece using a business class award one way for 52,500 miles each. Most of it is on Lufthansa with the last segment on Aegean.
We have 4 nights at the Doubletree Resort on Kos at a total of 50K Hilton Honors points and then are paying 118 Euros total for two to fly back to Athens on Aegean Airlines. We are then using a United one way Star Alliance award (12,500 miles each) for the nonstop Croatia Airlines to Dubrovnik. The ticket price was $377 each for the one way so a great use of the UA miles there.
5 nights at the Hilton Imperial Dubrovnik a category 7 for 200K HH points as a VIP award. We can explore the islands around Dubrovnik and come home to luxury every evening.
We’ll then drive or take a bus, or fly to Split, Croatia for 4 nights on a cash and points SPG stay at the Le Meridien Split. The cost was $240 and 16,000 SPG points.
It is then a one way American Award Split to Budapest to Amsterdam on Malev at 10,000 points each.
We have three nights at the Hilton (120K HH points) at the Airport as we have an early departure last day. It is only 20 minutes into the city and I believe a train is the best bet there. We get two full days in Amsterdam this way and are right at the airport for that 9 AM Continental business class flight to Newark followed by the puddle jumper back to Savannah.
Gary Leff helped us find the flights and info we needed and made my job, just booking the hotels. I appreciated the service and can recommend him highly.
$240 + 118 Euros and a few taxes. That my friends is frugal travel at its best. Thanks Gary!
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)