The first indications I’ve found regarding the continuation of our 50,000 per year gravy train are not good. In the past we could sign up for one personal and one business checking account and debit card and receive 25,000 Continental miles for performing the minimal tasks associated with the offer. I found a 2011 web page and the terms are significantly different.
It appears now that the debit card/checking account combo pays 2,500 miles per debit card with a limit of three additional users per account. That would be 10,000 miles for $100 in debit card fees. I have not found new info for 2011 for the business account yet.
I am assuming this information to be the latest as the copyright info in the lower right hand corner of the page and the terms and conditions page show the year of copyright as 2011.
Here is the
link (link expired) I found.
I hope someone can prove me wrong and we find a comparable offer for 2011.
Update Greg sent me the link with the defininitive answer “NO” about the third paragraph down. Oh well. Nice while it lasted.
IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card
- Annual Fee: $49 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Hotel
The IHG Rewards Club Visa is often cited as one of the most underrated hotel credit cards, with good reason. The official offer is for 70,000 points after $1,000 spent within three months, with the first year’s fee waived. The card comes with an annual free night certificate that can be used at any IHG property, including Intercontinental hotels - making this certificate worth upwards of 50,000 points. This is far more generous than some other hotel cards, which limit the categories in which free night certificates can be redeemed.
Cardholders earn 5 points per dollar at IHG hotels; 2 points per dollar at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants; 1 point per dollar everywhere else. Moreover, you’ll get a 10% rebate on award redemptions, up to 100,000 points per year. The card also comes with Platinum status, though that doesn’t get you much with IHG. Still, this is a fantastic card to have in your wallet, with benefits that far outweigh the already low $49 annual fee.
- Earn 70,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months of account opening
- Enjoy a free night of card membership at over 4,700 hotels worldwide
- Earn 5 points for each $1 spent at our hotels
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants
- Bonus points redeemable at hotels such as Intercontinental® Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts and Holiday Inn®
- Automatic platinum elite status, as long as you remain a cardmember
- $0 introductory annual fee the first year, then $49