Recent Snow on Maui Submitted by Aloha Stephen
In a Bloomberg article entitled “Rewards Junkie May Turn to Smaller Banks for Best Debit Perks,” the reporters go into great detail on the regulations that are forcing big banks out of the debit card business. The article even quotes the day Chase is pulling out — February 8th — so I guess we now know we won’t see them return for the Chase Continental debit card bonanza.
The article suggests these types of awards may continue at smaller banks with their individual rewards programs. I hope that includes Suntrust, but I now have my doubts about that one for the fall of 2011.
Although this appears to be a loss for the frequent flier community, I’m hoping that, together, we can find small and regional banks with offers better than they truly understand.
I’ll miss my 50,000 annual Continental miles and maybe the Delta windfall as well. But I’m not giving up hope that we can find better deals.We always have. We always will!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95