Recent Snow on Maui Submitted by Aloha Stephen
In a Bloomberg article entitled “Rewards Junkie May Turn to Smaller Banks for Best Debit Perks,” the reporters go into great detail on the regulations that are forcing big banks out of the debit card business. The article even quotes the day Chase is pulling out — February 8th — so I guess we now know we won’t see them return for the Chase Continental debit card bonanza.
The article suggests these types of awards may continue at smaller banks with their individual rewards programs. I hope that includes Suntrust, but I now have my doubts about that one for the fall of 2011.
Although this appears to be a loss for the frequent flier community, I’m hoping that, together, we can find small and regional banks with offers better than they truly understand.
I’ll miss my 50,000 annual Continental miles and maybe the Delta windfall as well. But I’m not giving up hope that we can find better deals.We always have. We always will!
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)