I don’t fly Delta unless I have to. Delta overcharges for award tickets, has lousy low-tier awards availability until you’re very close to your travel dates, and compensates its members poorly for customer-service errors. Many people agree. As evidence, Delta’s miles in black market trading are worth way less than AA, CO, US or UA miles (one third less is my guess).
But from an airline profitability standpoint, the move makes sense for Delta. I am absolutely convinced they will get uneducated fliers to accept $100 for a four-hour delay, maybe even less. If they can work out the logistics of the bidding process, they will save millions. And there’s very little we can do about it. It’s their company. They set the rules.
I’m not sure at this point if the Department of Transportation will step in at some point and guarantee a minimum compensation. Nor am I sure if the other airlines will follow. We are experiencing the ebb and flow of the business cycle. Two years ago, the airlines couldn’t give away seats and were losing money by the millions each day. Today, they’ve corrected many of their balance sheet issues through bankruptcy and better management so they are profitable again. Bottom line: We’re paying more in fees and receiving less for bumps.
The cycle is going their way at the moment.
Amex Card Offer Looks Way Better Now
Your BLOG 50k link for the AMEX MR card just got better cuz they are doing the 50% bonus and 25k MQM for those who did not do last round:
Thus you end up for $450 fee getting 75k for sending over 50k MR points and 25k free MQM and instant Silver status until FEB2013! (free the rest of this year and all of next year since you earned status NOW!)!!!
This is an great deal IMO. You can even work it with some other cards to EZ get GOLD status or even Platinum.
Here are Rene’s instructions to get the deal done.
FIRST! FIRST! FIRST!
Next sign up for the promotion and make sure it shows in your DELTA account here:
Then yes get the card
Then link your DELTA account to MR. MR let’s you “advance” 50k right away btw. So, send over the 50k, net out 75k + get 25k MQM on top of that. Then spend $1000 and earn the 50k bonus (to pay back the 50k you advanced!)
Here is the link to the Flyertalk thread.
Mint coins are here BTW:
Got’a love DELTA!
Free Ten Day Trial
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95