Photography by Anne Cabo San Lucas
I just received a letter from Chase that disapproved my 50k-mile United Visa card. It says “too many requests for credit or opened accounts with us” and there was a phone number to call in 30 days.
This is the first time they’ve rejected my application. I have CO, MC, & PC Visa cards and both were opened in August and October 2010 with 25k credit line each, but I lowered them to 15k each when called in to activate them. I canceled my BA Visa two months ago.
What should I do in this case? Do I have a chance by calling them? Please help!
Here is my response:
NEVER lower a credit line without getting something for it. You could have used it to get this card — by offering to lower one of your credit limits. Call and ask them if, by lowering a limit on one of your cards, they will approve this one? If not, try this: If you agree to cancel one of your cards, will they approve this one?
And Lisa’s final email to me:
I called Chase this morning about my United 50k Visa card and I now got approved by canceling my CO master card. I was told the reason for rejecting this card was that I needed to wait for six months after my last application. But my CO Mastercard was opened in July 2010 and PC Visa in September 2010. So why does the United Visa require a six-months wait? Anyway, it doesn’t make
sense to me.
Thank you for your help and your blog has helped me so much!!
Lisa: It doesn’t make sense because the six-month rule does not apply if you call, most of the time. (I wait at least 30 days, though.)
So here’s a good opportunity to use the blog search function: for the Chase phone number to call when you need to make a “reconsideration” call. Simply search “Chase Reconsideration.”
By using the search function here, you will get the answers to most of your questions and, more often than not, you will get them much quicker than you will be waiting for my return email.
Thanks for easing my email load. And don’t always believe what a customer service rep tells you!
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)