|Na Pali Coast Kauai, Hawaii|
There is a method to our madness and this card fills the bill. We are staying at three Hilton properties on our next trip to Europe. And with Katy’s approval of the Hilton Surpass card, Katy will have Gold status. This is usually very valuable in Europe with room upgrades and, for the dollars and cents, free breakfasts. The card cost her $75. We have already booked about 11 nights at Hilton European properties. At $20 per breakfast for two people, that’s about $440 in bennies just to start.
The Gold status is good for one year, so we will have other Hilton stays in that time frame. If memory serves me right, 20,000 in spend maintains Gold status, and I’m sure Katy will distribute that many US Mint coins in the next year in addition to using the card for gas and grocery purchases. I wish I hadn’t canceled mine two years ago, but she can use the spend.
The Hilton Surpass card pays six points per $$$ on gas, groceries and drugs. I consider that earning to be slightly better than the SPG card. I value SPG points at 2.5 cents minimum and Hilton Honors points at about .6 cents each, so in these spending categories only, 6 x .6 = 3.6 cents.
If you have similar value estimates and future European travel plans, I’m sorry I don’t have a link for this card. But a Google search will pull it up for you, I’m sure.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95