|Na Pali Coast Kauai, Hawaii|
There is a method to our madness and this card fills the bill. We are staying at three Hilton properties on our next trip to Europe. And with Katy’s approval of the Hilton Surpass card, Katy will have Gold status. This is usually very valuable in Europe with room upgrades and, for the dollars and cents, free breakfasts. The card cost her $75. We have already booked about 11 nights at Hilton European properties. At $20 per breakfast for two people, that’s about $440 in bennies just to start.
The Gold status is good for one year, so we will have other Hilton stays in that time frame. If memory serves me right, 20,000 in spend maintains Gold status, and I’m sure Katy will distribute that many US Mint coins in the next year in addition to using the card for gas and grocery purchases. I wish I hadn’t canceled mine two years ago, but she can use the spend.
The Hilton Surpass card pays six points per $$$ on gas, groceries and drugs. I consider that earning to be slightly better than the SPG card. I value SPG points at 2.5 cents minimum and Hilton Honors points at about .6 cents each, so in these spending categories only, 6 x .6 = 3.6 cents.
If you have similar value estimates and future European travel plans, I’m sorry I don’t have a link for this card. But a Google search will pull it up for you, I’m sure.
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)