“Most of the time, how you land is a good indicator of a pilot’s skill. So if you want to say something nice to a pilot as you’re getting off the plane, say ‘Nice landing.’ We do appreciate that.” -Joe D’Eon
“Cabin air is not as dirty as people think. A portion of the air is recirculated because that helps to reduce humidity. But it’s run through hospital-quality HEPA filters, and it’s actually cleaner than the air found in most public buildings.” -Patrick Smith, commercial pilot and author, askthepilot.com
“No, it’s not your imagination: Airlines really have adjusted their flight arrival times so they can have a better record of on-time arrivals. So they might say a flight takes two hours when it really takes an hour and 45 minutes.” -AirTran Airways captain, Atlanta
The Latest on the Delta or Bristish Airways Transfer Bonus
1. Register for the either the Delta 50% transfer (first time transfers only) or the British Airways 40% transfer . DL transfer must be complete by 5/31/11. BA transfer by 3/31/11
2. If you have 50,000 Membership Rewards points currently in your account, transfer to the program of your choice for the bonus.
3. If you don’t have the 50K of MR points, consider applying for the Platinum card. Once approved and when you have the card in hand, if you have had another Amex card in good standing, you can “borrow or advance” 60K MR points. You do this on the Amex Membership rewards site.
4. Regardless of whether or not you “borrow the points” (see above), complete the $1000 minimum spend on the Plat card ASAP and your points (50K) should post a couple weeks after your statement closes.
5. Those points will pay back your “advance or borrow.”
6. By applying for this card, you will get 50K MR, which you then transfer to the program of your choice. In addition, you will receive $200 of airline incidental expenses credit (baggage, meals, etc.), lounge access for one year and, if you choose the Delta promotion, you will also receive 25,000 MQM, which will give you Delta Silver Elite Status until Feb. 1, 2013
7. The application fee for the Platinum Card is $450 and your net cost (if you use the incidental expenses) is $250. Not bad for 75K DL or 70K BA, and lounge access for one year!
The Platinum Card from American Express
Free Ten Day Trial