Cabo San Lucas Photography by Anne
Although we didn’t make a Round The World out of our spring trip to Croatia, Greece, and Amsterdam, we were able to make it even sweeter by joining up with our son Andrew in China later in June. He starts his break from law school on the 29th of June and will fly up from Sydney to meet us in Beijing for eight days in China. We will be departing from Hilton Head on our northerly migration to Traverse City — via China this time.
Andrew is the best when traveling abroad and has been to all seven continents. We will spend two days in Beijing then move on to the Terra Cotta Warriors in Xian, and then end up in Shanghai before we return to Traverse City, Michigan, and Andrew goes back to Sydney.
We’re flying business class on the way over at 55K in American Airlines miles each, and first class on the return with AA at 67.5K miles each. Yes, it did cost us extra by making this two trips instead of one. But whenever we get the chance to travel with Andrew, we will pay the extra miles. Our last joint trip was in New Zealand.
So now with the tickets in hand, we will need to submit for Visa’s and finalize our accommodations. I believe it will be the Hilton at the airport for our first night and Andrew’s first night the following evening when he arrives. BTW: He used Delta miles from a certain debit card deal to arrange his flights to meet us.
So — Katy gets to see the Great Wall of China, I get to hang out with my kid, and we manage to move ourselves from Hilton Head, SC, to Traverse City on the same trip.
I love this hobby.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95