Gary did the research and deserves the credit. This is directly copied from his blog “View from the Wing” over on Boardingarea.com.
Thanks, Gary, for doing the research for us.
There’s been lots of discussion and speculation about how the Capital One 100,000-mile account balance match offer would apply to their small business card program, and whether it would be possible for one person to get the bonus once for the personal credit card and once for the small business credit card.
The answer is that yes, it applies to the small business card as well. And yes one person can get the bonus twice that way! But you need to use a different frequent flyer account to match each offer. You can’t give Capital One the same frequent flyer account with 100,000 miles in it twice. (At least those are the rules as they explain them to me, I can’t say whether they’ll catch this in practice and actually deny the miles to someone who tried this or not.)
Here were my questions, and their answers.
1. Some Capital One reps have said the offer is also available on the small business Venture card. Can you confirm?
Yes. This is true. This offer is open to new Venture and Venture for Business primary account holders who are approved during this limited-time promotion…
1a. If so, could someone with a small business where they earn miles claim the bonus for both a personal card and for a small business card?
A customer who has both a consumer and SB Venture account can receive two matches, however, they would need to have 2 eligible airline credit card programs. In other words, for example, they can’t have 100k miles with their Delta Skymiles Amex and submit the same statement as proof of their miles to be matched on both Capital One accounts.
1b. If so, would you need to provide different frequent flier accounts to be matched or show earning specifically from a business card credit card?
Yes, they would need to have two separate eligible airline rewards credit card accounts that they wanted to have miles balances matched from. These would not necessarily need to be business airline rewards credit card accounts. (Emphasis mine.)
2. Any indication how far along the promotion is in using up the ‘billion miles’..? I would hate to be telling folks about the offer if they were close to gone!
The promotion is doing very well. Given the unprecedented nature of this promotion we don’t expect the miles to last very long. I will keep you posted with updates.
Sounds like I need to apply for the small business card, too — and fast!
Be Careful: Some of the readers’ comments say it has to be 45 days between applications.
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)