Wanaka Valley, New Zealand © Andrew Ingersoll
Last year my dad and “Katybug” took advantage of the Air New Zealand business class deal from LA coincidentally at the same time: I was in Auckland on business via low-cost carrier Virgin Blue and a $125 ticket.
So what do I do? Naturally, I take advantage of being in the same country as my Dad, so I hop an internal $75 Virgin Blue seat to Queenstown to meet up with them. Living in Australia is a blessing, but as far as opportunities to see my family, it’s a curse.
Thankfully, Dad and Katy were happy to let me crash their Kiwi Adventure. Dad had rented a car and we drove up to Lake Wanaka
for a few nights in Alpine splendor. If you haven’t been to New Zealand, go!
Our first day in Wanaka
, we drove up into the mountains towards Strawberry Creek. Along the way we stopped, got out of the car, took pictures, and soaked up the spectacular scenery. At one point Katy found a quiet spot along the river and just sat quietly. I snapped a picture which truly reflects the essence of New Zealand.
How lucky to be able to share time with my family in such a great place. As someone who doesn’t get to see my family that often, I encourage you to take a moment to truly appreciate the loved ones in your life.
is an hour outside of Queenstown, which is serviced by Qantas (Oneworld) from Australia, as well as Air New Zealand (Star Alliance).
Rick Ingersoll is one of the world’s experts on frugal travel and flying free and the author of The Frugal Travel Guy Handbook. A retired mortgage banker from Traverse City, Michigan, he has retired to Hilton Head Island,... All Articles
| Follow on Google+
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)
Gas & Fuel Purchases