Wanaka Valley, New Zealand © Andrew Ingersoll
Last year my dad and “Katybug” took advantage of the Air New Zealand business class deal from LA coincidentally at the same time: I was in Auckland on business via low-cost carrier Virgin Blue and a $125 ticket.
So what do I do? Naturally, I take advantage of being in the same country as my Dad, so I hop an internal $75 Virgin Blue seat to Queenstown to meet up with them. Living in Australia is a blessing, but as far as opportunities to see my family, it’s a curse.
Thankfully, Dad and Katy were happy to let me crash their Kiwi Adventure. Dad had rented a car and we drove up to Lake Wanaka
for a few nights in Alpine splendor. If you haven’t been to New Zealand, go!
Our first day in Wanaka
, we drove up into the mountains towards Strawberry Creek. Along the way we stopped, got out of the car, took pictures, and soaked up the spectacular scenery. At one point Katy found a quiet spot along the river and just sat quietly. I snapped a picture which truly reflects the essence of New Zealand.
How lucky to be able to share time with my family in such a great place. As someone who doesn’t get to see my family that often, I encourage you to take a moment to truly appreciate the loved ones in your life.
is an hour outside of Queenstown, which is serviced by Qantas (Oneworld) from Australia, as well as Air New Zealand (Star Alliance).
Rick Ingersoll is one of the world’s experts on frugal travel and flying free and the author of The Frugal Travel Guy Handbook. A retired mortgage banker from Traverse City, Michigan, he has retired to Hilton Head Island,... All Articles
| Follow on Google+
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95
Within 90 days
Coffee Shops Purchases
Fast Food Purchases
Alcohol & Bars Purchases