We have been promoting the Platinum Card from American Express and then using the Delta Airlines Get More Miles Promo for a 50% bump in the transfer to Delta for first-time transferers. The promotion ends on May 31st. That is just more than two months away. To make this deal still work, an applicant would need to apply for the credit card, receive the card, complete the required spend, have the points post (or borrow them), and then make the transfer.
I am not advocating starting now, nor am I suggesting you are too late to start. If you are confident in borrowing the points for a later payoff when they do post, you may have a chance. But I think the hope of getting everything done now by May 31st is becoming increasingly difficult.
This is meant as nothing more than wake-up call that the calendar is ticking. My points posted on March 12th on an application I completed in early to mid February and I met the minimum spend within the first billing period, which ended on March 21st. Go figure!
IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card
- Annual Fee: $49 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Hotel
The IHG Rewards Club Visa is often cited as one of the most underrated hotel credit cards, with good reason. The official offer is for 70,000 points after $1,000 spent within three months, with the first year’s fee waived. The card comes with an annual free night certificate that can be used at any IHG property, including Intercontinental hotels - making this certificate worth upwards of 50,000 points. This is far more generous than some other hotel cards, which limit the categories in which free night certificates can be redeemed.
Cardholders earn 5 points per dollar at IHG hotels; 2 points per dollar at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants; 1 point per dollar everywhere else. Moreover, you’ll get a 10% rebate on award redemptions, up to 100,000 points per year. The card also comes with Platinum status, though that doesn’t get you much with IHG. Still, this is a fantastic card to have in your wallet, with benefits that far outweigh the already low $49 annual fee.
- Earn 70,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months of account opening
- Enjoy a free night of card membership at over 4,700 hotels worldwide
- Earn 5 points for each $1 spent at our hotels
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants
- Bonus points redeemable at hotels such as Intercontinental® Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts and Holiday Inn®
- Automatic platinum elite status, as long as you remain a cardmember
- $0 introductory annual fee the first year, then $49