I got an email after close of business last Thursday indicating the “big credit card offer” I alluded to was canceled, or, more accurately, never got off the ground. Let me tell you what I know.
Last week I got emails and phone calls from two companies that provide advertising links to this blog. They act as the middle man between the “advertisers” and myself and others known as “publishers.” In this case, the “advertiser” was Chase again.
I was asked if I could help move some Chase Sapphire Preferred cards with an 80,000 rewards point sign up bonus for a limited-time promotion. My answer was, of course, yes. Nice, big, hotel rewards points sign-up bonus, where the points earned could be transferred easily to several programs: Continental Airlines, British Airways, Hyatt, Marriott, or Priority Club. Katy and I have the credit card and are very satisfied with the customer service, and the sign-up bonus transferred effortlessly to Continental. I was happy for all of you without the card, yet somewhat jealous that I could not get another one so quickly after getting mine.
It seems the path to an offer is first to see if the publishers think they can move the product (credit cards). Of course we could, then it goes back to committee to decide if the promotion will actually take place. If so, then the rules are defined and the information is passed on to the middle man, who then creates links and distributes it us publishers. I was told this was going to be a limited-time promo that would last through March 27th — a very short time frame.
The actual offering of the promotions is, as expected, entirely up to the advertiser. And for some reason, they decided not to go through with the promotion. I don’t know if the promo was in response to the Capital One offer and I’ll probably never know.
“We win some, we lose some, and some are called on the count of rain.” We got rained out this time. I feel bad that I alluded to the possible offer. But then again, am glad I did. I got several emails from readers asking me to give them more info (which I couldn’t), but I did suggest to others, who were considering applying for cards within the next few days, to wait it out for a few days. Sorry it did not work out.
So what do you want me to do in the future? Tell you there is one in the works, that may or may not materialize? Most of them do. This is the first I remember that did not. Or, should I just keep my mouth shut so you don’t get your hopes up if a nice offer falls through? I’d hate to see somebody apply for something that may affect their approval of a “biggie offer.”
I’m looking forward to your comments and thoughts.