I thought this reader’s email may be of interest to some of you. As always YMMV.
Back at the beginning of February, your blog had a little discussion about the
possibility of applying for Premier Rewards credit cards. I decided to try it without
getting a targeted offer and see what happened. I first transferred my existing
Membership Rewards points over to British Air, then canceled my existing
Premier Rewards card. Two days later, I applied online for a new Premier Rewards
card, using a link that offered 25K bonus points with the standard “Offer not
available to existing consumer American Express Charge Card members” language. I
was approved, and then had to do my $1K initial spend. I just completed that
spend last week (a little slow because I’m juggling multiple card bonuses), and
see this morning that I have been given the 25K bonus points.
So, at least for me, it was possible to do the applications with almost no lapse in
time between cards, and without receiving a targeted offer. As always, YMMV.
Thanks for alerting me to the possibility!
And the hits just keep on coming.
IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card
- Annual Fee: $49 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Hotel
The IHG Rewards Club Visa is often cited as one of the most underrated hotel credit cards, with good reason. The official offer is for 70,000 points after $1,000 spent within three months, with the first year’s fee waived. The card comes with an annual free night certificate that can be used at any IHG property, including Intercontinental hotels - making this certificate worth upwards of 50,000 points. This is far more generous than some other hotel cards, which limit the categories in which free night certificates can be redeemed.
Cardholders earn 5 points per dollar at IHG hotels; 2 points per dollar at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants; 1 point per dollar everywhere else. Moreover, you’ll get a 10% rebate on award redemptions, up to 100,000 points per year. The card also comes with Platinum status, though that doesn’t get you much with IHG. Still, this is a fantastic card to have in your wallet, with benefits that far outweigh the already low $49 annual fee.
- Earn 70,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months of account opening
- Enjoy a free night of card membership at over 4,700 hotels worldwide
- Earn 5 points for each $1 spent at our hotels
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants
- Bonus points redeemable at hotels such as Intercontinental® Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts and Holiday Inn®
- Automatic platinum elite status, as long as you remain a cardmember
- $0 introductory annual fee the first year, then $49