I thought this reader’s email may be of interest to some of you. As always YMMV.
Back at the beginning of February, your blog had a little discussion about the
possibility of applying for Premier Rewards credit cards. I decided to try it without
getting a targeted offer and see what happened. I first transferred my existing
Membership Rewards points over to British Air, then canceled my existing
Premier Rewards card. Two days later, I applied online for a new Premier Rewards
card, using a link that offered 25K bonus points with the standard “Offer not
available to existing consumer American Express Charge Card members” language. I
was approved, and then had to do my $1K initial spend. I just completed that
spend last week (a little slow because I’m juggling multiple card bonuses), and
see this morning that I have been given the 25K bonus points.
So, at least for me, it was possible to do the applications with almost no lapse in
time between cards, and without receiving a targeted offer. As always, YMMV.
Thanks for alerting me to the possibility!
And the hits just keep on coming.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95