I thought this reader’s email may be of interest to some of you. As always YMMV.
Back at the beginning of February, your blog had a little discussion about the
possibility of applying for Premier Rewards credit cards. I decided to try it without
getting a targeted offer and see what happened. I first transferred my existing
Membership Rewards points over to British Air, then canceled my existing
Premier Rewards card. Two days later, I applied online for a new Premier Rewards
card, using a link that offered 25K bonus points with the standard “Offer not
available to existing consumer American Express Charge Card members” language. I
was approved, and then had to do my $1K initial spend. I just completed that
spend last week (a little slow because I’m juggling multiple card bonuses), and
see this morning that I have been given the 25K bonus points.
So, at least for me, it was possible to do the applications with almost no lapse in
time between cards, and without receiving a targeted offer. As always, YMMV.
Thanks for alerting me to the possibility!
And the hits just keep on coming.
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)