We are back in the ThankYou Points Game thanks to Citi cards and 5 points per dollar spent in certain categories. Here are the cards and details.
Citi Thank You Preferred Card
- Note: 6000 point sign up bonus on $300 spend, No limit on points earned, No annual fee, no interest on BT (there will be a BT fee) or purchases and 5 points for the first year on gas, groceries and drugs.
- Note: 8500 point sign up bonus with $250 spend and paperless statements, no annual fee and 5 points the first year for dining and entertainment
Citi Forward Card for College Students
- Note: No cosignor required. (Not everyone will be approved but you’ll have a better chance for a first rewards card here), 1000 points sign up with first purchase and paperless statements, 5 points on restaurants, books, movies and music and a bonus for paying on time and staying under your limit.
Why Thank You Points?
For those that don’t remember them last time around, you can redeem them for gift cards, travel certificates from Marriott, Ritz Carlton, and Hyatt at $100 per 10,000 points giving them a value of 1 cent each. And remember you can be earning 5 points per $ or 5% return on your spend. There are other gift cards available as well best redeemed at the 10,000 point level.
You can transfer TY points between members but the must be used within 90 days of the transfer.
The Travel Reward Center provides airline tickets, hotel rooms, car rentals etc at a value of one cent per point. The tickets you receive also earn frequent flyer miles.
And Last But Not Least: These are not Chase Cards nor American Express Cards. We have been pounding those two for months now and many of us have just too many inquiries with those lenders. Citi may even pull from a different credit reporting agency in your state. Check creditboards creditpulls database, your own credit report or the credit pulls database thread on Flyertalk for information on who pulls Citi from your state. SC is a big Experian state and I’m full of Experian pulls. It looks like Citi is Equifax so I have a new game to play in SC.
I’m going for two cards and racking up gift certificates for hotel stays. I need the nights and at 5 points per $$$, I’ll make decent headway in a hurry.
If you are a heavy spender in any or all of these special categories, you will be earning 5 cents per dollar for the first year, which is far better than anything out there now.
Citi Prestige® Card
- Annual Fee: $450 fee
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The increase to 50,000 ThankYou points for the Citi Prestige card may be a signal that Citi wants back in the game, big time. The sign-up bonus has just been increased to 50K points from the previous 30K offer. An added benefit is a $250 annual air travel credit each calendar year -- so, if you sign up in April, you'll receive the credit this year, and again in January of next year -- which more than covers the $450 first year fee. When you add in lounge access for you and up to two of your guests, you’ve added another $400+ in value. One more benefit worth mentioning is the fourth night free for any four-night hotel stay booked through Wagonlit Travel. And lastly is the $100 statement credit when you sign up for Global Entry and pay for it using the Prestige card. Don’t forget the ever-growing number of airline transfer partners that work with the ThankYou points program.
- $250 Air Travel Credit each year
- Complimentary 4th Night for any hotel stay
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after $3,000 in purchases made with your card in the first 3 months the account is open.
- Points are redeemable for an $800 flight on American Airlines or US Airways®, a $665 flight on any other airline or $500 in gift cards.
- Transfer points to a variety of travel loyalty programs from airlines to hotels.
- Earn 3x points on Air Travel and Hotels
- Earn 2x points on Dining at Restaurants and Entertainment
- 1 ThankYou® Point per $1 spent on other purchases