Last week I wrote about how Rio’s socio-economic gap provided me with a life-changing thought process. From Rio, I hopped on a free Varig flight, thanks to Varig’s Star Alliance partnership with United Airlines’ MileagePlus program, and was off into the “jungle” and Iguassu Falls.
I can only describe how awesome Iguassu one way: breath-taking. The Iguassu River divides Brazil from neighboring Argentina. It is worth spending a day on either side of the falls, but there have been plenty of scams with taxis crossing the border. If you go, ask someone at your hotel for local advice on how to cross the border with minimal drama.
The Brazilian side of the falls is developed and tourist-friendly. Odds are good you’ll be one of hundreds visiting on any given day. The natural tiered formation of the falls allowed for a wooden boardwalk to be built to extend out directly into the mist of the falls.
Standing at the end of the boardwalk, the mist soothes and cools during the midday heat and humidity. I snapped a photo of a rainbow and for an instant I feel completely alone and more than a world away from Northern Michigan. This was the first time I had one of those “I love my life” moments.
Traveling to far reaches of the globe makes me feel alive and grateful for my experiences. What made this moment even better was knowing how little money came out of my wallet to get me there. Skymiles ticket US-Rio = $ taxes, United MilagePlus on Varig, Rio to Iguassu = $ taxes. Brazilian tourist visa $100. Accommodations, less than $60/night because I usually prefer hostels or bed-and-breakfast inns. There is a beautiful Sheraton at Argentine Iguassu where my Dad and the “bug” have stayed. They enjoyed the SPG Gold Member buffet breakfast as well as the panoramic views from the hotel.
The price for this adventure plus my “I love my life” moment reinforced my desire to see the world with as little cost as possible. Planning my adventures had now become an official game!
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)