A member at Milepoint, “jbcarioca,” has offered to match new loans to Kiva.org, made Milepoint members, in the month of April. Basically, for every dollar made in new loans, jbcarioca will make loans that match that amount up to $15,000. His offer is in post #444 of this thread.
Kiva.org makes mini loans to entrepreneurs in developing countries worldwide. I currently am a member of the Kiva Flyertalk team and have concentrated my efforts there as they were trying to become a top 50 team. This match puts a whole new light on that. I’ll get some lending in credited to the Milepoint team as well.
For more information on Kiva, go to Kiva.org You can make zero interest loans with as little as $25 and my payback rate has been outstanding. These folks appreciate our support.
Thanks, jbcarioca. You are our Frugal Travel Guy of the Day!
A Guest Blogger Opportunity
I have not tried this method of securing hotel or rental cars, but many of you are suggesting AA miles as the solution to my lack of hotel points problem. Do we have a reader who would like to be a blogger for a day and teach us all about redeeming American Airlines miles for hotel nights and possibly rental cars? I know I would be interested in the process, fees, past successes, value in cents per mile received, and any other tips or pitfalls you have found in the redemption process.
The winning entry will receive a $100 Marriott gift card and our gratitude for a job well done. Experienced bloggers need not apply. Let’s give the Rookies a chance. Send your entries to by Monday morning. Mark the email subject line “Guest Blog” and we will post the winning entry next week,
Don’t be shy. Give blogging a try. We all need more frugal hotel nights!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95