For those of you that have recently been approved for the Platinum Card from American Express at the 50,000 point level, there has recently been a targeted offer for 100,000 Membership Rewards points for signing up for the same card.
On Wednesday, I sent a secure message on the Amex online website alerting them that I was aware of the bigger offer and asked for consideration in matching the 100,000 sign up bonus. My email yesterday indicated they were going to give me the extra 50K and they showed up in my account today. Five minutes time for 50,000 Membership Rewards points.
Here is what I anticipate happening:
- Many of you will now flood their secure email requesting the same consideration.
- I highly recommend you write a well crafted, positive email and remind them of the length of your association with Amex (I’m 9 years). Include the approximate of annual spend you have with them.
- The results will be hit and miss, but the longer you wait (from past experience) the less likely you are to receive the points match. Act Quickly!
- The results will be entirely sporadic until a memo comes down instructing the email reps how to handle the request.
- You can also try by phone with the number on the back of your card. If unsuccessful, Hang up. Call back and pitch them again.
Thepointsguy posted the info today as well and he lists the promotion number as Offer ID: 3882. I was able to secure my additional 50,000 points without referencing the promo id # but I do have significant spend each year and a 9 year history. Your mileage may vary.
There are other cards as well where the bonuses have been higher on targeted offers. I suggest you locate those as well. The Premier Rewards Card recently had a 25K offer (many got 15K) and I think the Delta Gold card was one other. Sorry I don’t have the increase bonus amount but I’m sure somebody can post it in the comments section.
Best of luck to you in requesting the extra points. This will clearly be YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) but as I discussed in New York this past weekend, you should always try to Bump the Bonus when a bigger offer is known to you.