Chase sent me the email about the offer I have been waiting for. This offer was not supposed to go live until Monday May 16th, but you guys and gals need to know about it now as it may affect your application scheduling. You now have two great choices: This is now double the usual signup bonus on the Sapphire Preferred card.
Premier Rewards Card offering Membership Rewards Points ( I gave you the link earlier today)
Chase Sapphire Preferred Card offering 50,000 bonus points no annual fee first year.
In a nutshell here are the differences:
Membership Rewards points transfer to Aeromexico, Delta, Air Canada, Airtran, Alitalia, British Airways, Flying Blue, Frontier, Hawaiin, Iberia, Jet Blue, Singapore, Virgin Atlantic and Continental. For hotels they transfer to: Best Western, Hilton, SPG, Priority Club and Jumerirah. All the transfers are not 1:1 so check the Membership Rewards website.
Chase Points transfer to: Amtrak, Continental, British Airways, Priority Club, Hyatt and Marriott.
Both programs offer gift cards and other merchandise that is not travel related. Membership Rewards sometimes offers transfer bonuses. The Chase card gives an automatic 25% bonus on travel purchases all the time when using points to buy a ticket
So your choice is now apply for both, one or the other or none of the above. That will depend on your past recent applications, current credit scores and number of inquiries.
If you have recently applied for the BA card Chase likes to see some time (I think one month minimum) between applications. Amex is sometimes more liberal on that account.
Remember that the Chase Sapphire Preferred link was not supposed to go live until Monday the 16th. Readers are reporting it is live now. I can’t tell you what will happen if you apply now. Chase is closed for the evening. I’d wait but it is your life and YMMV.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months- that’s worth $625 toward airfare or hotel accommodations!
- Points go 25% farther when you travel – For example, 50,000 points can be redeemed for two flights worth up to $312.50 each, which would usually cost 62,500 points. Just book your flight, cruise, or other travel through Ultimate RewardsSM
- Pay no foreign transaction fees when you use your card on purchases made outside of the United States.
- Earn a 7% annual points dividend – even on points already redeemed
- Redeem your points at leading airlines and hotels at a 1:1 value
- 2X points earned on airfare & hotel accommodations booked through Ultimate Rewards and 1 point for every dollar spent on all other purchases
- When you call us, our phones are answered by people, not prompts
- No Annual Fee for your first year – A $95 value
This Ad Was Supposed to be Live on Monday May 16th. Readers are Reporting it Live Now I Would Wait until Then But it is Your Call YMMV
IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card
- Annual Fee: $49 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Hotel
The IHG Rewards Club Visa is often cited as one of the most underrated hotel credit cards, with good reason. The official offer is for 70,000 points after $1,000 spent within three months, with the first year’s fee waived. The card comes with an annual free night certificate that can be used at any IHG property, including Intercontinental hotels - making this certificate worth upwards of 50,000 points. This is far more generous than some other hotel cards, which limit the categories in which free night certificates can be redeemed.
Cardholders earn 5 points per dollar at IHG hotels; 2 points per dollar at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants; 1 point per dollar everywhere else. Moreover, you’ll get a 10% rebate on award redemptions, up to 100,000 points per year. The card also comes with Platinum status, though that doesn’t get you much with IHG. Still, this is a fantastic card to have in your wallet, with benefits that far outweigh the already low $49 annual fee.
- Earn 70,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months of account opening
- Enjoy a free night of card membership at over 4,700 hotels worldwide
- Earn 5 points for each $1 spent at our hotels
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants
- Bonus points redeemable at hotels such as Intercontinental® Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts and Holiday Inn®
- Automatic platinum elite status, as long as you remain a cardmember
- $0 introductory annual fee the first year, then $49