The flight from Chicago to Beijing was not eventful. The 777 left on time with a full load and we were comfortably located in 11H and J in the Business section. I was somewhat apprehensive about the completely flat seat that did not recline to a full horizontal position but it was not an issue.
After a nice meal of Hunan beef I was off to “lala land” and slept a full 10 hours plus. Katy slept 12 of the 13 1/2 hour flight. I woke up to a sesame seed chicken piece and salad. Katy got up in time for coffee and that was it. The instructions I got regarding the hotel shuttle were perfect and with an 11:30 PM arrival I looked at the hotel room clock at 12:14 AM. Immigration and customs were a breeze. The airport is new gorgeous and spacious and the hotel is as well. We were upgraded to a superior room based on Katy’s Gold status, given free internet and breakfast. Later today Jenny is taking us on a tour of Beijing and some temples. We relocated to the Crowne Plaza. Andrew shows up at 7:30 tonight from Australia and it is off to the Great Wall tomorrow.
The strangest thing is we are exactly 12 hours time ahead of the east coast. We have already slept the night away and now need to sleep again??? Also the flight goes almost due north near the north pole or close I guess. We left at 9PM but I could see daylight about 2 hours into the flight or maybe it was daybreak/dusk in the way northern hemisphere.
Rick Ingersoll is one of the world’s experts on frugal travel and flying free and the author of The Frugal Travel Guy Handbook. A retired mortgage banker from Traverse City, Michigan, he has retired to Hilton Head Island,... All Articles
| Follow on Google+
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)
Gas & Fuel Purchases