The flight from Chicago to Beijing was not eventful. The 777 left on time with a full load and we were comfortably located in 11H and J in the Business section. I was somewhat apprehensive about the completely flat seat that did not recline to a full horizontal position but it was not an issue.
After a nice meal of Hunan beef I was off to “lala land” and slept a full 10 hours plus. Katy slept 12 of the 13 1/2 hour flight. I woke up to a sesame seed chicken piece and salad. Katy got up in time for coffee and that was it. The instructions I got regarding the hotel shuttle were perfect and with an 11:30 PM arrival I looked at the hotel room clock at 12:14 AM. Immigration and customs were a breeze. The airport is new gorgeous and spacious and the hotel is as well. We were upgraded to a superior room based on Katy’s Gold status, given free internet and breakfast. Later today Jenny is taking us on a tour of Beijing and some temples. We relocated to the Crowne Plaza. Andrew shows up at 7:30 tonight from Australia and it is off to the Great Wall tomorrow.
The strangest thing is we are exactly 12 hours time ahead of the east coast. We have already slept the night away and now need to sleep again??? Also the flight goes almost due north near the north pole or close I guess. We left at 9PM but I could see daylight about 2 hours into the flight or maybe it was daybreak/dusk in the way northern hemisphere.
Rick Ingersoll is one of the world’s experts on frugal travel and flying free and the author of The Frugal Travel Guy Handbook. A retired mortgage banker from Traverse City, Michigan, he has retired to Hilton Head Island,... All Articles
| Follow on Google+
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95
Within 90 days
Coffee Shops Purchases
Fast Food Purchases
Alcohol & Bars Purchases